Sunday, March 11, 2012

New in I-601 Adjudications (Waiver of Inadmissibility), Changes coming end of spring - beginning of summer 2012.


On March 9, 2012, the USCIS held the Teleconference addressing new changes in how the USCIS is adjudicating Waivers of Inadmissibility (USCIS Form I-601).

These new changes are different from the announced earlier this year "Conditional Waiver" which is expected to take effect by the end of 2012.

However, procedural changes in adjudication of I-601 are expected to take effect as soon as end of spring - beginning summer 2012.

I've attended the Teleconference, and these are my brief notes.

(1) The filing fee will remain the same, US$585.

(2) Filing location for ALL I-601 will change. There will be one nationwide central filing location - a Lockbox in Phoenix, Arizona. All I-601 filed from within the USA or from abroad will be filed at the Lockbox in Phoenix.

(3) ALL I-601 petitions will be received in Phoenix and forwarded for adjudication to Nebraska (Nebraska Service Center).

(4) Goal is to reduce processing time to no more than 6 months.

(5) An applicant will be able to check case status for a pending I-601 petition online at uscis.gov website. And the USCIS will start publishing I-601 processing times.

(6) Procedures for requesting to expedite processing of the I-601 will remain the same. Military families are one of the examples of people who can request to expedite processing of the I-601 Waiver. (For more details see May 2011 USCIS Memo).

These changes are designed to lead to uniform and fast adjudication of all I-601 waivers. As USCIS reported, there are approximately 23,000 waivers filed every year with USCIS. Often, I-601 can take more than a year. With the new system of adjudication in place, I-601 processing should not take more than 6 months.

If you require assistance with preparing and filing of your Waiver of Inadmissibility (form I-601) or Permission to apply for readmission after Deportation (form I-212), you are welcome to contact our office and to schedule a telephone or Skype consultation. Please email at Attorney@law-visa-usa.com

Note: This information is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. For more information or to schedule a consultation please visit http://www.law-visa-usa.com/contact_us.html or email at Attorney @law-visa-usa.com

No comments: